top of page
Stranden
Onze favoriete restaurants
Restaurants
image (4)_edited.jpg
image (21)_edited.jpg
Landhuizen en natuurparken
Landhuizen/ Natuurparken

‘Kura Hulanda’

1707

The history of the Kurá Hulanda quarter begins in 1707 with the granting of parcels on the westside of the St. Anna Bay.

 

1875

In the middle of the 19th century the grounds on the hill slowly developed into a residential area. Mansions in neoclassical style emerged from 1875 onward, marking the beginning of the prime of the Kurá Hulanda area. Economic activities increased around the harbor leading to population growth.

 

1970

In the second half of the 20th century fundamental changes affected the atmosphere in the quarter. Around 1970 the Arubaweg ramp to the Juliana Bridge was built straight across the historic part of Otrobanda, separating Kurá Hulanda from the western part of the neighborhood. Living in the quarter became less attractive and many inhabitants moved elsewhere. The abandoned buildings became a hotbed of drugs and prostitution and in the 1980s there was little left of the once so lively neighborhood.

 

2001

In 2001 the Kurá Hulanda hotel was founded by Dutch entrepreneur Jacob Gelt. By investing in the area Dekker made sure that numerous historical buildings were saved that would have otherwise been permanently lost.

 

NOW

With the historic value in the back of their minds a group of local investors has renovated the area to a lively neighborhood. Open to the public as well as hotel guests and residents. A variety of restaurants, bars and squares Kurá Hulanda will host a mixed group of people enjoying city life in a cultural ambiance. Arranged in four zones, the village locates a hotel, bars & restaurants, commercial (shops) and a residential area.